We think by now, most of you get what Straggler is. It’s a madly versatile bike that can be used for most types of riding and riding surfaces. Better still is that you now have the option of 650b wheel size. 650b wheels were popular for a long time many years ago on ‘Constructeur’ style bicycles and we all know how real shit was back in the day…. 650b wheels strike a nice balance between the benefits of both 26” and 700c sizes. The smaller wheel allows smaller riders to fit well on smaller frames, produces a stronger wheel, makes fitting big ass tires easier and are more agile than their larger counterparts.
Straggler has disc caliper mounts instead of rim brake studs. It’ll accept rotors up to 160mm. The rear dropouts are unique, too. They’re a partially closed horizontal design that accommodates singlespeed or geared drivetrains. They feature stop screws that thread in from the rear to further secure the wheel and to position the rear wheel for optimal shifting, plus a forward-mounted stop screw on the drive side to keep the wheel from slipping forward under the force of your gargantuan legs. The rear dropouts are spaced 135mm instead of 132.5mm like the Cross-Check simply because there are far more options for disc hubs in this spacing.
Straggler 650b has braze-ons for fenders, racks and bottle cages. The geometry is slightly different, with angles and tube lengths very close but not identical to the Cross-Check, but like the Cross-Check it’s ready to take you just about anywhere. It’s a day tripper and a weekender. It’s a ‘rough road’ road bike. It’s a cyclocross bike with no pretense about racing. It’s a utilitarian townie. It’s a light-duty touring bike. It’s an all-weather commuter. And when you get tired of one set up, you can swap parts around and turn it into something else. We think that’s pretty neat.
Surly Straggler Sram Apex
Pick up from store.
- FRAME: Surly Straggler, 100% Surly proprietary 4130 chromoly tubing
- FORK: Surly Straggler, 4130 chromoly, disc only, lugged and brazed
- SHIFTERS: SRAM Apex 1x11
- REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM Apex
- CASSETTE: SRAM 11-42t 11sp
- CRANKSET: SRAM Apex 42t
- CHAIN: SRAM PC1110
- BOTTOM BRACKET: SRAM GXP
- BRAKE LEVERS: SRAM Apex
- BRAKE CALIPERS: Hayes CX Comp, 160mm rotors
- HANDLEBARS: Salsa Cowbell
- GRIPS/TAPE: Black Cork
- STEM: ProMax 31.8mm 4-bolt
- HEADSET: Cane Creek 40, 1-1/8"
- SADDLE: WTB Volt Sport
- SEATPOST: ProMax SP-2019 non-offset (38–50cm); ProMax SP2016 offset (52–58cm), 27.2 x 300mm, black
- SEATPOST CLAMP: Surly stainless 30.0mm
- HUB (FRONT): Novatec 6 bolt disc 32H QR
- HUB (REAR): Novatec 6 bolt disc 32H QR
- RIMS: Alex Adventurer 2 tubeless-ready
- TYRES: Surly Knard 700c x 41 33TPI